About The Society
FOR THE LATEST NEWS CLICK here
The JB Priestley Society was established in 1997, when a group of JBP enthusiasts decided that they wanted to enjoy and promote his work. Other literary figures had their Society’s and it was fitting that JBP should be recognised in the same way. The group were encouraged in their initiative by JBP’s son, Tom Priestley, who remains involved in the Society’s activities.
JB Priestley is a national and international literary figure who is still widely read. His plays and their messages continue to resonate with our modern world and are produced all over the globe.
The aims of the Society penned in 1997 still hold good and we delight in sharing our insights about the great man and his work. We hope that this website might inspire you to join us. Please explore and learn a little more.
Its aims are threefold:
- To widen the knowledge, understanding and appreciation of Priestley’s literary and other published works.
- To promote the study of his life and career, and the social, cultural and political forces which influenced him.
- To provide members of the Society and all interested people opportunities to share experience and knowledge of his works, his life, and his career.
The Society promotes its Aims in a number of ways:
- Hold lectures, seminars, conferences and other events including the exhibition of films and video-cassettes.
- Publish newsletters, journals, monographs and other written material, and promote the public performance of Priestley’s work.
- Encourage and assist with education projects relating to Priestley’s life and work.
- Promote the production, distribution, exhibition and availability of books, films, photographs and other associated material.
JB Priestley Society’s 25th Anniversary Lunch Sunday, 30th October, 2022 The Bradford Club Society Council Meeting 11.30 am for 11.45 am start until 12.45 pm. Chair Lindsay Sutton will welcome members, and announce future plans and aspirations. Three-course set lunch menu (vegetarian option available) and coffee/tea for £25 from 1 pm until 2/2.15 pm. A …
Steve Abbott, John Baxendale, Bill Lawrence, Lindsay Sutton J B Priestley in Hollywood Bradford-born novelist and playwright J.B. Priestley is well-known as the writer behind An Inspector Calls, yet his contribution to the golden age of cinema is often overlooked. Much of his work is uncredited and and is still being unearthed, for example The Princess …
Sunday 26 April at 3pm Regent Street Cinema J B Priestley Society presents Preceded by a talk with editor Tom Priestley and followed by a Q&A USA 1972 104 mins cert 18 Director: John Boorman Cast: Burt Reynolds, Jon Voight, Ned Beatty Film Editing Tom Priestley This screening of the classic and controversial 1970s film Deliverance comes …